Walks in the Woods
community-led hiking series
The first and third Sundays of each month, mid-March through October, weather permitting, join SCLT members to explore local favorite walks in the Saluda area. Walks generally last about an hour and a half, and besides showcasing our local treasures, encourage getting folks outside.
Walkers meet at the parking lot of the Saluda Library at 2pm. A SCLT member will keep you aware of the terrain of the trail and share their insights about the history, flora, and fauna of the area as they lead each walk.
Prepare for each walk with comfortable shoes (and, where you see an * wear water shoes), a walking stick, water, and a snack. Feel free to bring your field guides and a camera. Please provide any pertinent medical history to you guide. Many of these hikes will access private property. SCLT has obtained the owners' permission to allow you to access these areas that are normally not available to the public. Call ahead to determine whether the hike will welcome four-footed companions.
For more information contact Chuck Hearon at (828) 817-0364 or email@example.com
Sundays at 2PM
View upcoming Walks below or on our Events Calendar
March 15 Walk Canceled
March 15 Walk-Round Mountain is Canceled For the safety of SCLT community, per current medical recommendations this walk has been canceled.
April 5, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Ann Dudley & Bruce
- 1 mile easy to moderate. This is not a long walk but more of a meander of 1-2 hours. We will walk among a huge population of spring wildflowers located at Twin Bridges over the Pacolet River on US-176 south of Saluda.
April 19, 2020 2pm
- Guide: Nancy & Lin
- This is a strenuous walk from Nancy Barnett’s home down to the Pacolet River to see abundant wildflowers. 1-2 miles steep descent, recommend hiking sticks.
Waters of Camp Creek
May 3, 2020 2pm
- Guide: Betsy
- 2 mile 2 hour moderate walk on Burdett’s property offering beautiful fall foliage as well as lush vegetation and dancing waters along Camp Creek.
May 17, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Chuck & Don
- A gentle out-and-back from the parking lot at Gray’s Chapel down to the Green River. It is a site of the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail where the soldiers forded the river on their march.
June 7, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Bruce & Betsy
1-2 miles and 2-3 hours of easy to moderate walking with multiple paths available. Mark and Betsy will give walkers a glimpse of life in the 19th century at the Dart-McCutchen property off Holbert Cove road. Walkers will enjoy seeing an old homestead, fields, streams and a water cascade. Stories from the past abound. This walk requires specific permission and is not generally open to the public.
Historic Saluda Walk
July 5, 2020 2pm
- Guide: Carolyn
- Gentle walk through downtown Saluda, learning about the people and places who have been there. Continue through Little Park and up Shand Hill to the fire department and Sullivan’s Temple.
July 19, 2020 2pm
Guides: Kay & Ann Dudley
1 mile loop of moderate walking 1-2 hours. Water shoes recommended. The trailhead is located on Pearson Falls Road just above the new concrete bridge over the North Pacolet River. The trail is well blazed, kid and pet friendly, and has several easy water crossings.
Old Cove Road
August 2, 2020 2pm
This is an old road that went from Saluda to Green River back in the 1920’s, before the current Green River Rd was built. It follows a stream flowing down to Fish Top and is now protected with a conservation easement. The walking will be easy to moderate, and occasionally steep, but the views are worth it.
August 16, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Don & Mary Jo
- A moderate out and back walk on a well maintained trail along Joel’s Creek, passing 4 waterfalls along the way. There is a side spur which goes down to Turtle Falls and is fairly steep which will be optional."
Saluda Mountain Passage of the Palmetto Trail
September 6, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Jan & Dean
This is a moderate out and back of approximately 3 miles. Walking up to Heatherly Heights Rd., with some switchbacks and stairs and back down again. About a 2 hour hike. Parking is on the left side of the road at the SC state line. Map available at palmettoconservation.org.
Green River Cove Trail
September 20, 2020 2pm
This out and back moderate walk of 3 miles or more. It follows the river upstream starting at the first bridge and heading towards Fish Top.
October 4, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Chuck & Don
- Little White Oak Mountain is a 300 plus acre parcel adjacent to Polk County Middle School that is being developed for public use and enjoyment. Hikinng and biking trails are under construction by volunteers. This is a moderate walk. We will be escorted by Polk County Recteation personnel.
Sullivan's Temple/Saluda Nature Park
October 18, 2020 2pm
- Guide: Betsy
- This walk starts at Sullivan's Temple
- SCLT will lead walkers on a 1-2 mile moderate tour of the city park. The route connects Greenville Street to Chestnut Street and then loops back out. Sections within the park wind along the stream, up the hillsides, and climb even further up to the grand overlook on Judd’s Peak.
Henry’s Nature Park
November 1, 2020 2pm
- Guides: Chuck, Frank, & Rob
- This will be an exploratory meander over the wooded terrain that is the present and future Henry’s Trail. It will be a gentle/moderate hike of 2 miles out and back, partial loop.
Walks in the Woods Subs
Thayer Fleming:firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-350-8686
Jeanie Bennett: email@example.com, 843-384-0484
Frank McNutt: firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-489-1589
Ann Dudley: email@example.com, 803-645-5949
Betsy Burdett: firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-749-2161
Nancy Barnett: email@example.com, 828-606-8727
John & Lin Savage: firstname.lastname@example.org, 749-3906 cell 828-545-3634
Don Clapp: email@example.com, 704-750-0411
Carolyn Ashburn: firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-773-5159
Chuck Hearon: email@example.com, 828-817-0364